Phrasal nouns are compound nouns formed from verbs and a particle( a preposition or adverb)
eg. break-up, setback, outcry, onset
NB: When phrasal nouns begin with a particle, they have no hyphen eg. downpour, input, outlook
When phrasal nouns start with a verb, they may or may not have a hyphen eg. kick-off, breakdown, get-together
– Not all phrasal verbs can be made into phrasal nouns!
– Not all phrasal nouns can be made into phrasal verbs!
– Some phrasal nouns are made up of the same words as a phrasal verb but reverse the order of the verb and the particle
eg. set on —> onset; cry out —> outcry
– Some phrasal nouns are countable and are made plural by adding ‘s’ to the end of the word
eg. break-ups, outcries, setbacks
– Some phrasal nouns are made up of the same words as phrasal verbs but have different meanings
eg. intake = enrolment ; take in = understand and remember
outcry = protest ; cry out = shout
onset = start ; set on = attack
İleri düzey İngilizce öğrenenlerin gramer, kelime, deyim, phrasal verb, reading gibi konularla ilgili merak ettiklerini sorabilecekleri bölüm...
1 mesaj • 1. sayfa (Toplam 1 sayfa)
Bu forumu görüntüleyen kullanıcılar: Hiç bir kayıtlı kullanıcı yok ve 1 misafir